Questionnaire to Determine Your
This questionnaire is provided to help you determine your body-type. Select one answer for each question. If more than one answer is applicable, choose the one that applies the most. Some answers will be obvious (such as hair color, height, etc.). Others will be more subjective and variable. If in doubt, answer according to how you have been for most of your life, especially for the past few years. At the end of the questionnaire, click the compute score button to determine your body-type.
- Taller or shorter than average, thin and slender, with prominent joints and thin muscles.
- Medium build, with good muscle development.
- Large, round, solid body frame, with a heavy bone structure.
- Low; difficulty gaining weight.
- Moderate; its easy to gain weight or lose weight if I put my mind to it.
- Heavy; I gain weight easily and have difficulty losing it.
- Dry, coarse, kinky, curly, brown, black.
- Fine, soft, red, light brown, blonde, prematurely graying or balding.
- Abundant, thick, oily, wavy, brown, black.
- Small, dry, brown, active.
- Sharp, penetrating, green, blue, gray, with reddish or yellowish sclera.
- Large, attractive, brown or deep blue, with white sclera.
- Crooked, uneven or with large spaces, sensitive to hot or cold, need for braces.
- Medium-sized, yellowish, gums bleed easily.
- Large, straight, white.
- Dry, rough, thin, darker (relative to family), tans easily.
- Fair skin, sunburns easily, warm, reddish in color, prone to irritation.
- Moist, thick, smooth.
- Cold hands and feet, dislikes cold weather, prefers warm environments.
- Usually warm regardless of season, sweats easily, prefers cooler environments.
- Cool (not cold) and clammy, adaptable to most temperatures but dislikes cool, wet weather.
- Unpredictable and variable; sometimes not hungry at mealtimes and hungry between meals.
- Strong; acutely aware of mealtimes, irritable when delaying or missing a meal, can digest large quantities of food.
- Moderate; can comfortably miss a meal, feels best with smaller quantities of food.
- Irregular pattern; tends toward constipation, hard and dry stool, accompanied by gas.
- Regular pattern; two or more bowel movements per day, soft/loose stools, occasional burning.
- Regular pattern; usually one large, full bowel movement per day.
- Light or interrupted, insomnia, 5-7 hours per night.
- Sound, 6-8 hours per night.
- Deep, uninterrupted, love to sleep, slow to waken in the morning.
- Flying, running, fear, searching, traveling.
- Fire, conflict, anger, vivid colors, passion, jealousy.
- Water, romance, sadness, ocean, clouds, short dreams.
- Performs activities very quickly, energy levels fluctuate and come in bursts, often multi-tasks, easily distracted and may not complete projects.
- Performs activities intensely and efficiently, perfectionist mindset, likely to become aggravated if interrupted or encounter difficulties.
- Performs activities slowly, calmly, and deliberately, steady energy level with good endurance and stamina, often procrastinates.
- Very quick learner, but forgets things easily.
- Moderately quick learner, clear on details, average memory.
- Slow learner, but never forgets information once it is learned.
- Indigestion, intestinal gas, constipation, joint aches, low back pain, insomnia, anxiety, fatigue,weakness, dryness.
- Skin conditions (rashes, acne), ulcers, inflammations, fevers.
- Upper respiratory conditions, sinus/nose/throat congestion, cough with mucus, benign growths, obesity, diabetes, fluid retention.
- Lively, easily excitable, changeable moods, enthusiastic.
- Perfectionist, driven, intense, opinionated.
- Easy-going, calm, satisfied, accepting.
- Fearful, anxious and/or worried.
- Anger, irritability, and/or aggressive.
- Withdrawn and/or reclusive.
The letter A corresponds to Vata. B corresponds to Pitta. C corresponds to Kapha. The letter with the highest score determines your Ayurvedic constitution. Some individuals have one predominant body-type (either vata, pitta, or kapha). Some individuals have two equally predominant body-types (for example, pitta-vata or kapha-pitta). Rarely, a few individuals will have equal proportions of all three body-types.
While not an exact tool, this questionnaire should give you a good idea of your unique Ayurvedic constitution. A better and more exact determination of your constitution requires the insight and skill-set (including face, tongue, and pulse diagnosis) of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner.